The carpet in your home makes up a large surface area that is the perfect backdrop for catching food and liquids as well as dirt and debris that is tracked into your home by family, friends and pets. Although we all wish to avoid certain types of spills, it is inevitable that at some point in our daily lives we will be confronted with a sick child, family member, or pet who leaves an unsightly mess that needs to cleaned up. Vomit not only looks disgusting, it often comes accompanied by an odor that leaves us faint and wanting to run in the opposite direction. If you find yourself confronted with a vomit stain you will more than likely be asking yourself three important questions. What should I do? Where should I start? And how do I insure that I won’t be left with a permanent, stinky stain?
The professionals at Orange County Steam Masters have provided the following step-by-step guide to cleaning up vomit stains and odors from your carpets.
Stains like vomit are always best left to the professionals such as the experienced and knowledgeable carpet cleaning technicians at Orange County Steam Masters. However there are some things you can do to clean up vomit and help to eliminate the lingering tell-tale odor.
1. Collect a pair of rubber gloves, dustpan, spatula or brush, old wash cloths and a bucket filled with warm water, a carpet cleaning agent, a vacuum cleaner and a box of baking soda.
2. Take the dustpan and spatula and scrape up as much of the vomit as possible from the carpet. Remember time is of the essence, so the quicker you take care of this task the higher the chance of success.
3. If you are squeamish or have a weak stomach, you might want to enlist the help of another family member with a stronger constitution and avoid the potential of adding to an already unpleasant and unsightly mess.
4. Once all the larger particles have been picked up, use the old wash cloths to blot and soak up as much liquid as possible. You will need to repeat this step several times using warm water as a rinsing agent being careful not to completely saturate the area which can lead to additional stains and damage to your carpet.
5. Sprinkle baking soda over the stained area to soak up any remaining liquid. Let the baking soda rest for about 10 to 15 minutes for optimal results.
6. Vacuum the baking soda thoroughly before applying an enzyme based carpet cleaner to the affected area. The cleaner has a dual purpose; it will help dissolve remaining stains along with any odors. Let the cleaner sit for approximately 10 minutes then blot with clean wash cloths.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 7 as many times as necessary to completely eliminate the stain and any lingering odors.
Professional Carpet, Rug, Tile & Grout, Upholstery, Mattress, Drapery & Air Duct Cleaning in Santa Ana, Irvine, Anaheim & Huntington Beach California
Cleaning up vomit and the resulting stain is an arduous process that is best left to a professional cleaning company such as the experts at Orange County Steam Masters. The skilled technicians at Orange County Steam Masters have access to a professional hot water extraction system which is attached to truck mounted equipment and when used in conjunction with commercial grade cleaning solutions that are safe for you, your family and pets will eliminate vomit and other stains and odors expertly the first time round. You can rest easy knowing that your carpets are professionally clean, sanitized and deodorized for a fresh, fragrant clean you can trust. Contact us today to book your next appointment.